Maccabees is one of the updates to the main Google algorithm, which we know as Fred. Today, Google’s spokesman confirmed that mid-month was really about updating the main algorithm (apart from a bunch of smaller ones) that focuses on the relevance of search results.
“We’ve released several minor improvements during this timeframe, part of our regular and routine efforts to improve relevance.”
The name Maccabees comes from Barry Schwartz and refers to the holiday of Hanukkah, and the American SEO community has taken over. The Maccabees were a group of Jewish warriors – rebels from ancient times. What does this update affect?
- Improves relevance of results.
- Changing link ratings – some may have better ratings and others may be downgraded by this update.
- Changes how the content is being evaluated, for some non-commercial queries, ratings / relevance may be downgraded to commercial websites.
- The update enters landing pages that are built on combinations and variations of keywords such as: winter holidays Egypt, winter holidays Thailand, winter holidays Bali etc.
- It also targets sites that use doorway pages.
- Most updates went to affiliate sites and less typical e-commerce sites.